5 Winter Driving Statistics Every Driver Needs to Know
Driving during the winter can be dangerous. From blinding blizzards to hidden black ice, wintery weather conditions can make it much more difficult to stay safe on the road. Before you hit the road this winter, check out these five surprising statistics, courtesy of our Bensalem, PA, collision repair experts.
- 70% of drivers live in snowy regions. If you’ve ever survived a PA winter, you know that driving in the snow is no easy task. About 70% of the U.S. population lives in an area prone to heavy winter snow showers.
- 17% of all vehicle crashes are due to winter weather. Harsh winter weather causes about 17% of all vehicle crashes. This makes it especially important to get your vehicle ready for winter. Make sure your tires are in good condition!
- About 76,000 drivers are injured during a winter-weather crash every year. If you’re injured during a winter car accident, make sure you seek emergency medical attention as soon as possible. Always keep a charged cell phone with you when you so you can quickly call for help if you’re involved in a collision.
- Icy roads cause about 156,000 accidents annually. Icy roads can be especially difficult to navigate—even for experienced drivers. If you know you’ll be driving on a road that hasn’t been de-iced yet, pay special attention to speed limits and be extra careful when making a turn.
- 800 Americans die in winter car crashes every year. Driving during the winter isn’t something to take lightly—it can quickly become a deadly situation if you aren’t careful. Drive defensively and avoid the roads right after a heavy snowfall, if possible.
As a driver, you can minimize your risk of being involved in an accident this winter by taking steps to prepare your vehicle for the snow and ice ahead. If you’ve recently been involved in an accident, schedule an appointment with Peruzzi Collision Center’s auto body repair shop in Bensalem, PA, today by calling us now!